Pages

Friday 4 October 2013

Spoonbill

Even though it was raining and there was a stiff south wester blowing, I felt the need to be out and about. First stop was West Wittering with a gentle walk to Snowhill Marsh to find the juvenile Spoonbill. I wasn't disappointed, although it remained at a fair distance and seemed content to snooze unless disturbed by the squabbling of the Little Egrets. On the marsh itself was a good number of Redshanks, interspersed with the occasional Black-tailed and Bar-tailed Godwit. On the way back to the car park the flash of a flyby Kingfisher brightened up the proceedings. I briefly put my head above the sea wall but beat a hasty retreat in the strong winds, not a lot flying in these conditions.


 




 
Not sure about the antics of the Little Egrets
Newly arrived Brents sheltering in the lee of East Head
 
On down to Church Norton which again was unremarkable. Ferry Pool was virtually empty, only two Yellow-legged Gulls at the rear of the pool worth a mention. However I was surprised to count 36 Stock Doves in the field beside the pool. I nearly called into Ivy Lake but my belly got the better of me and it was home for lunch.

...... and now for something completely different, a Shaggy Inkcap or Lawyer's Wig, Coprinus comatus taken with 700mm of lens, I didn't take a macro with me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment