Pages

Tuesday 23 July 2013

On the Commons

A jaunt around West Sussex taking in Lord's Piece, where ,at the pool by the car park, I managed to photograph a Black-tailed Skimmer.  The Broad-bodied Chaser population has diminished, to be replaced by other species. I identified Southern Hawker and Brown Hawker but none settled in the heat of the day. A family of Pied Wagtails are taking advantage of the insect abundance and whilst I was there two Grey Wagtails dropped in for a short time.



BBCs are looking worn

On to Ambersham Common where I managed to snap a Common Hawker, very little else was active save for a single Yellowhammer perched on the gorse.


I ventured over the road to Heyshott where a couple of locals warned me of a very active adder population on one of the paths. Arming myself with two cameras and three lenses I set forth on the dreaded footpath determined to get some decent shots of active adders, you got there before me, no sign of ophidian activity whatsoever! Here bird activity was also minimal, just a Green Woodpecker and a pair of Linnets. Having hacked through the jungle by the stream I expected at least one dragonfly, a big zero again but at least this Brimstone gave me something to photograph.


On the way back I was going to drop into Houghton Forest but amazingly it was raining so on home for Tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment