Pages

Saturday 21 June 2014

Silver-studded Blues (II)

I awoke early this morning, not because I wanted to witness the sun rising over any prehistoric construction, but because the Blackbirds are obviously attempting a second brood adjacent to the back garden and the male was singing his heart out. It gave me an opportunity to make an early brew and check out the moth trap. Surprisingly, given the recent weather, there was little in the trap. My urban Sussex location is no substitute for previous Hampshire and Cornish venues when it comes to moth variety.

So, having got up, I decided that it would be a good idea to have another go at the Silver-studded Blues. My previous efforts had been disappointing, caused by a lack of care on my part, I think I got a little bit over confident and left most of the work to the camera. At 0800 I was parked at Iping Common and as I set foot on the common I knew that I should have been an hour earlier. Already Large Skippers were buzzing everywhere and Silver-studded Blues were also on the wing.

I had set myself three goals, roosting specimens, a freshly emerged female and a mating pair, all to be photographed in what was perfect light. I almost completed the hat-trick, falling short by finding two freshly emerged males rather than females. No problems as they are almost a substitute, in that their scent is attractive to other males and several would-be suitors landed close by, one obviously confusing denim for the delicate hues of a female.



Fairly fresh with ants about.


Soaking up the heat of the early morning sun.


At long last .... a freshly emerged male with ants in attendance. Lasius niger or alienus??
Attracting other males.


Climbing upwards for the sun.


Nearly there!

Finally he opened his wings - sorry about the shadows - happy just to capture the moment.


A bit more sun.


Just a moment longer.


Ready for first flight

Still attracting other males


 

 
Somewhat confused on the correct hue of blue
 I was quite pleased with the results and believe that at long last I have done these butterflies justice. I found the emerger at 0814 and stayed with it until it flew at 0911. I felt responsible for it because to obtain clear shots I had conducted judicious gardening with the scissors of my trusty Swiss Army Knife, and it was somewhat exposed to any marauding bird.

On the walk back to the car SSBs were lifting off everywhere and finally, as I was trying to photograph a female, a happy couple alighted in the bracken in front of me and obligingly posed.











No comments:

Post a Comment