Pages

Tuesday 3 June 2014

300 up!

When I started this blog never did I imagine that I would make this milestone. I have never kept a diary and couldn't see any reason for doing so, but a blog is different. There was a pause between my fourth and fifth postings of about nine months, why did I continue - probably because the photographs started to improve and I wanted to share them.

Late morning I had to make a visit to Phil, probably the best dentist in the world. It's an amazing fact that, having filled your mouth with dental paraphernalia and numbed half your head,  dentists then ask you a question and expect a coherent reply. Well today wasn't bad at all and Phil showed  a genuine interest in what I might be getting up to in the afternoon. I explained that I would be visiting Anchor Bottom to capture some orchid shots. Flowers are obliging in that they don't move much and that I would utilise some artificial backgrounds to improve the composition.

My backgrounds are made from Daler or Foam board of neutral hues held in place by a bulldog clip on a ground spike. Of course the distance between subject and background is important as none of the background should be in focus.

Fragrant Orchid taken "au naturel",  with some care to keep the background "quiet".


Much improved ...but you have to watch the colour shift - more photoshop attention required.


Possibilities are endless - do you aim for it to be aesthetically pleasing or visually correct?






Perhaps a few more wispy bits of grass lessen the "museum shot" effect.



 Pale form of the Fragrant Orchid





Fragrant Orchids  grow large here...




..as do Common Spotted Orchids.




 
As the afternoon progressed the temperature rose and Adonis Blues emerged but lack of sun meant they stayed in cover.

 




 Though some wasted no time.


  Technique also works for butterflies


Set the pose




Position the background.... perfect.



On the way back to the car park a nice specimen of Sainfoin, Onobrychis viciifolia




Dave's artificial background holder.



And a couple from Monday's visit to Kithurst and Chantry Hills





1 comment:

  1. Nice shots Dave I think I prefer the natural backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete