Pages

Thursday 19 June 2014

Marbled White

I thought that after three days out I would be too tired to go out again. However, after catching up with processing photographs and blogging I felt that it might be a good idea to visit my favourite butterfly patch. So, after lunch I put the gear in the car and made a leisurely trip to Houghton Forest. At first I thought I had made a mistake, where it was sunny on the coast, inland on the downs it was cloudy. The ride I usually visit was fairly quiet, just a few Speckled Woods until I was treated to a high speed fly past, no mistaking this butterfly, a Silver-washed Fritillary and as fresh as a daisy. Several more passed by, all at high speed, halfway up the canopy and with only one thing on their mind - mating!  I made my way to a clearing that I know in the forest and sure enough they were present, one or two came down to visit some bramble that is in flower but, by and large, mating was the name of the game and none posed for me. In a few days this place will be alive with them and when they start nectaring they will present an ideal photo opportunity.

So on the way home I called into another patch I know and it was obvious that Marbled Whites were hatching in numbers. I chased the first one but soon I reckon I had 30 or more hanging out to dry in the long grass. Gradually they dispersed but one or two posed for me.
 

 





Usual suspects


A very late or very early Grizzled Skipper

No comments:

Post a Comment