Pages

Monday 14 April 2014

Mill Hill and Houghton Forest

With clear blue skies I decided to revisit Mill Hill, ostensibly to find an Adder, get some improved shots of the Grizzled Skippers and also to meet Dawn and Jim who were going to locate yesterday's Green Hairstreak. Of course I arrived too early and nothing was flying, the sun had warmth but there was a fairly cool breeze from a northerly quarter. Dawn and Jim arrived and we started the vigil for "Beautiful Eyebrows". After a fruitless hour I abandoned D&J and made my way down to the lower slopes where I met Lindsay who was just arriving. Immediately we were into several feisty Dingy Skippers and two or three Grizzled Skippers, by now the temperature had risen considerably and these specimens  were not willing to pose in any spot for long. I phoned D&J to let them know that at least there were some targets about, their long GH search was still proving fruitless so they joined us.


Failed on improving previous efforts!

 

After several sweeps of the north west end of the reserve I was treated to a flash of green and a specimen settled in the brambles about 8ft from me. Lots of happy snapping  ensued.






During the search I had located what I thought was a clearwing moth but on reflection I guess it is a Scorpion Fly, really not sure, so if anyone can provide me with an ID I would be truly grateful. On the way back up to the top car park I located a rather handsome moth and the "staircase" provided several more specimens of Green Hairstreak with a single Speckled Wood.  It is probable that we located at least six specimens of GH, three Grizzled and three or four Dingy Skippers. All in all, a good visit.


Small Purple Barred, Phytometra viridaria


 We parted company and I decided to give Houghton Forest a try for the first time this year. I parked at the entrance to the ride on the Madehurst Road and as I entered the ride I was immediately treated to a high speed fly past of an Orange Tip. All the usual specimens were about in good numbers, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock, Brimstone and Comma. It was nice to note my first Green-veined White of the year.



Finally I located an Adder - well two and doing what Mr and Mrs Adder do at this time of year. I was desperate not to disturb them so took some shots and made my exit. However it is apparent from the photographs that the male was very annoyed at the interruption in their nuptial activity. Sorry!








Not happy.

What a shame that the Forestry Commission wish to totally ruin this area, they and a partner company have submitted a planning application for Seventy Five!! log cabins in the forest.
On this ride I have had 18 species of butterfly in a day, including a Purple Emperor - this is designated as the main road in. Why on earth should the superb wildlife habitats of Sussex be given up so that the Lurid Lycra Clad Mountain Biking fraternity of London can come and play here.


Vital food plants like this violet will soon be under concrete.

No comments:

Post a Comment