Pages

Monday 4 April 2022

Rhodes Orchid Odyssey (II)

Monday,  Day Two and I awoke feeling as if I had been a few rounds with Tyson Fury. I made a brew, my kettle is my constant companion on these trips, and the world seemed a better place. My knees weren't too bad and apart from multiple scratches caused by the ever present chicken-wire plant, everything seemed intact. I dressed, grabbed the camera and set off for an early morning loosener in the fields behind the hotel. There were few birds about but I was pleased to see a Pied Flycatcher, of course a record would have been nice but by the time I had changed from macro to 400mm the bird had departed.

Onward to where the Orchis anatolica were growing, the light was poor, but these were fresh specimens and the bending down would be good exercise. As we were in the shade of Mount Attavyros the morning sun came a little later on in the day. Unable to get a reasonable depth of field I abandoned photography and just enjoyed the walk. At least the dog in the kennel behind the hotel was pleased to see me, he barked and growled fiercely and I was thankful he was held by a substantial chain. Oddly I noticed during the week that he only barked at me as I ventured down the path, never on the way up. I returned to the hotel and Yiannis supplied me with a Greek coffee, sweet and a double shot - ready to take on the world after that.



Orchis anatolica


Post breakfast we loaded up the minibus for a short trip up the road. Today's venues were all on the slopes of Mount Attavyros and I was glad that I wasn't going to be sitting in the bus for any length of time.

On the first trail we came across a couple of Himantoglossum robertianum, one a greenish shade and the other attempting to be purplish. Most of these orchids we had seen previously had long turned to a crispy state but these two, in the shade of a terrace wall had survived.



Himantoglossum robertianum



Himantoglossum robertianum



Another sheltered specimen.



Himantoglossum robertianum


Ophrys sicula were numerous on the shady banks of the path



Ophrys sicula


The next orchid put me on the horns of a dilemma, a single stem of Ophrys lucis and showing its advancing age. You know you will find more and fresher specimens but the nagging doubt remains - so I photographed it and lo and behold we did find more saving me the embarrassment of publishing a toe cringingly bad picture of a faded orchid.


An orchid that I was familiar with from Cyprus, Ophrys umbilicata. Just one stem and a new one for the group.



Ophrys umbilicata



An impromptu botany lesson from the master.



Stipules?



Thankfully, as promised, down the road we found more Ophrys lucis and in much better condition.



Ophrys lucis





Ophrys lucis




Ophrys lucis



We then started up Attavyros, walking up the road and being leap-frogged by the mini-buses. We started to find what has become one of my favourites - Ophrys reinholdii. Just the odd stem and as we progressed higher many more appeared. In between were clumps of Cyclamen rhodium, two bucket listers in one spot.


Ophrys reinholdii




Ophrys reinholdii




Ophrys reinholdii





Ophrys reinholdii





Ophrys reinholdii





Ophrys reinholdii





Ophrys reinholdii





Ophrys reinholdii





Ophrys dodekanensis


Lunch was taken among the pine trees with Pine Processionary Moth caterpillars and a rather large beetle for company which Yiannis identified but I forgot! Subsequent research on Naturagraeca suggests it may be a Capnodis sp. Oddly there were few orchids under the pines just the odd reinholdii.

The Pine Processionary Moth, Thaumetopoea pityocampa is infamous in that its hairs can cause a reaction. Unfortunately it's heading north and will be in the UK in the near future.




Pine Processionary Moth caterpillars





Capnodis??





Capnodis??


At another stop down the road we found Orchis collina, well just, to count on the record list it has to have a flower. This one perilously close to its sell by date just qualifies.


Orchis collina


Plenty of Ophrys ferrum-equinum to be found.



Ophrys ferrum-equinum




Ophrys ferrum-equinum




Ophrys ferrum-equinum





Ophrys ferrum-equinum





At the final stop we found Ophrys cinereophila in superb condition.





Ophrys cinereophila




Ophrys cinereophila






Ophrys cinereophila



Finally Ophrys basilissa a new one for the group.



Ophrys basilissa




Ophrys basilissa



Other botany




Romulea tempskyana




Romulea tempskyana




Romulea ramiflora




Romulea tempskyana





Barbary Nut Iris, Moraea sisyrinchium







Anemone coronaria






Anemone coronaria



Just two butterflies today. First a Green Hairstreak, 
Callophrys rubi on Bellis annua




Green Hairstreak


followed by an Eastern Festoon (m), Zerynthia cerisy



Eastern Festoon, Zerynthia cerisy 





End of day two and the list is growing

No comments:

Post a Comment