Pages

Monday 25 April 2022

Green-winged and Early Purple Orchids

 Another Spring ritual is a visit to Anchor Bottom near Steyning in West Sussex for the Green-winged Orchids. I had the nagging doubt that I was a tad early in the season and perhaps they wouldn't be out. As I walked up the path on the north facing slope it was apparent they were in bloom. I could make out lots of purple spikes and I set about recording them. At some point I became aware that I wasn't alone, higher up the slope, two familiar figures engaged in the same activity as myself. Really great to meet Dawn and Jim and we jawed for some time about Orchids and the way of the world. As usual I said farewell with more local knowledge of orchids than when I started the day. They put me on to some spectacular Early Purple Orchids for which I am very grateful,
But first Green-winged Orchid, Anacamptis morio


Green-winged Orchid



Green-winged Orchid




Green-winged Orchid



Green-winged Orchid




Green-winged Orchid


Green-winged Orchid




Green-winged Orchid




Green-winged Orchid

You would think that having been given the location of some orchids with a Lat. Long. to 6 decimal places nothing could go wrong but I managed to put two and two together and make six! I ended up in the wrong wood and just couldn't make out any of the expected landmarks. Finally the penny dropped and with great embarrassment I discovered the right place and finding the orchids was a doddle.

I was amazed at the colour variation, even between adjacent orchids. At first I thought it was due to aging but most of the orchids I saw were pretty fresh. Of course the var. alba was the standout plant. When I found it I sat down, had lunch and stared at it for half an hour before recording it.


Early Purple Orchid



Early Purple Orchid



Early Purple Orchid



Early Purple Orchid



Early Purple Orchid, Orchis mascula var. alba



Early Purple Orchid



Early Purple Orchid


Finally, I couldn't leave without recording the Bluebells, a sea of blue and a heavenly scent. Probably the best I have ever seen and the white ones were easy to spot too.










2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip about the location of the Green Winged Orchid at Anchor Bottom. Found them!
    Had a lot of luck looking for the Early Spider Orchid at Castle Hill Nature Reserve. Was just about to give up and stopped to look at my map. Lo and behold they were 2 metres away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found them. Anchor Bottom is also good for Chalk Fragrant Orchids too - same slope but nearer the Dacre Gardens entrance.

      Delete