Pages

Monday 27 April 2015

Pearl-bordered Fritillary

With some sunshine forecast after a fairly cool night I thought it was a bit optimistic of me to go searching for Pearl-bordered Fritillaries in Rewell Wood. When I arrived there was nothing on the wing and I finally found my first butterfly, a Speckled Wood, at 1130. For the next two hours I searched in vain but felt heartened when I came across Peacock, Orange Tip, Green-veined White and Small White. Alas, still no PbF, so I decided to head back to the car. Sod's Law, there on the ride was a freshly emerged specimen determined to nectar for all its worth. Suddenly the sun disappeared and the butterfly went to roost, affording me some real close up views. There I was laying in the vegetation six inches away from it and holding a conversation! Thank god I didn't see another living soul all the time I was in the wood.


 





 





 


 
 
This fungus-covered log caught my eye, I suspect  there is an "art" shot in there somewhere, as ever, it eludes me.

 

 


 

1 comment:

  1. Cracking PBF Dave, must get down there later as never ever seen one.

    ReplyDelete