Pages

Thursday 10 April 2014

Mill Hill Butterflies

My first butterfly outing of the year and with clear skies and a warm sun I decided to visit Mill Hill, the target being a Grizzled Skipper. I arrived at around 1030 and although the sun was warm, no butterflies were on the wing. So, with some time to kill I entertained myself with the birds, a pair of Jays were quite mobile, Bullfinches and Blackcaps were also very vocal in the Blackthorn on the slope above me. Amazingly Cetti's were audible from the reed filled ditches adjacent to the reserve, their strident tones must carry for a considerable distance.

Eventually, as the  sun gained more power, the first butterflies were on the wing. Brimstones, followed by Peacocks and then Small Tortoiseshells. Finally, a freshly emerged Dingy Skipper which posed for the camera as it desperately tried to dry out its wings. Then, with the help of Neil Hulme, another that only posed for a short while.

 


Then, later, I also found a Grizzled Skipper which also posed only for a few shots and never really fully opened its wings for me.


 



Two moths, the first Wavy-barred Sable, Pyrausta nigrata  asked to be recorded and secondly another that I cannot identify - all suggestions gratefully received.



 

 


Part of the supporting cast










 

No comments:

Post a Comment