Pages

Tuesday 1 April 2014

European Wall Lizards

With Martin otherwise engaged I decided to have a non birding outing, hoping to capture some shots of the Adders at Pulborough Brooks and then perhaps a lizard or two. With a cracking weather forecast I left home in bright sunshine and headed for Pulborough, somewhere close to Arundel a thick mist descended and stayed with me until well gone mid morning. Making my way to "adder alley" I was regaled by a host of Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps but not a hint of Willow Warbler. Sitting on the bench by the expanse of bracken I patiently waited for both the sun and the snakes to put in an appearance. After four hours the former had shown, probably the hottest day of the year so far but totally ophidian free. Making my way back via the zig-zag I met Dorian and Dave who had obviously booked the afternoon watch with the snakes  - I hoped they fared better.

So off to the Old Fort at Shoreham where resides a colony of European or Common Wall Lizards, breeding from stock released close by they have colonised the walls of the fort and are multiplying and spreading steadily. The fact they are there is well known by local naturalists but I am sure the general public have no inkling of their presence. One woman enquired what I was photographing and when I pointed out one particularly bright green specimen swore that I was conspiring in some sort of April Fool's prank.



 





 










 
Currently there are three known colonies in West Sussex, the Old Fort at Shoreham, West Worthing railway station (southern platform) and a barn wall in Bury. Someone let them go back in the 1980s and they seem to be doing quite well. At least they are colourful specimens to snap and as far as I can gather do no harm.
 

2 comments:

  1. Super shots Dave, never seen these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike, we have three known colonies in West Sussex, the Old Fort at Shoreham, West Worthing railway station (southern platform) and a barn wall in Bury. Someone let them go back in the 1980s and they seem to be doing quite well. At least they are colourful specimens to snap and as far as I can gather do no harm.

      Delete