Pages

Thursday 15 May 2014

The Farnes - Staple Island

Having had two days at Bempton we journeyed north to our hotel near Alnwick, this was to be our base for another three nights. I have always wanted to visit the Farne Islands, envious of the photographs that other birders have posted and intrigued by how close one can get to the birds without disturbing them. Oh! how I wish it was the same elsewhere.

A month before our visit I had booked an all day birding trip with Billy Shiel's Glad Tidings fleet, so at 0930 I was on Seahouses Pier in good time for the first boat. Unfortunately Iolo Williams, he of Springwatch fame, was making a movie and we were slightly delayed. I was having a deep meaningful conversation with him about the best place to see Eagles in Scotland when my good lady embarrassed me by asking the famous birder to say his well known description of young Puffins - "Pufflings" - he duly obliged.  So I crept on to the boat with a host of other serious birders. The itinerary being two hours on Staple Island then  a cruise around the cliffs to see both birds and seals, followed by two hours on Inner Farne.

Yet again the weather gods conspired against us, the sea was perfectly calm but heavy overcast conditions prevailed to make photography difficult. That said, I would have been happy if I hadn't taken a single photograph such was the quality of bird life on show. Stunning views of the main species that inhabit the islands and all of them in close proximity.

As we landed we were greeted by a welcoming committee of Puffins, all perched just feet away from the path leading up from the jetty. Thanks to Graham, a seasoned Farnes birder, who advised me to wait until everyone had disappeared and then I would have the birds to myself.


Welcome to the Farnes

The sky was a tad overcast....




....but plenty of birds to be seen......



......but a little densely packed.



 
 With the birds so close to each other it was difficult to isolate single birds and even more difficult to get a plain background, so, in the end I gave up and recorded as many birds as I could. These included.....

Puffins....


 

 
  

  

 

 

 

 

  Guillemots.....







Nesting on the lower ledges has a drawback - poo!

Oddly, a single specimen still in winter plumage



 


Plenty of the Bridled form of Guillemot.






The bridle or spectacles give them a less aggressive look.




 Razorbills....









 Shags......








 Kittiwakes.....







....and finally Lesser Black-backed Gulls


Patiently waiting in anticipation of some tasty snacks in the near future.







No comments:

Post a Comment