Pages

Friday 1 February 2013

Siskin City

Today I had to attend a "Technical Off Site Meeting" in Crawley, TOSM being my old workplace euphemism for lunch at the pub. So I thought that I could kill two birds with one stone, a visit to Warnham LNR at Horsham with the chance of catching a Brambling and a chance to catch up with old work colleagues.

I arrived at Warnham dead on 1000, unfortunately in the pouring rain and dreadful light. As I made my way to the Woodpecker hide it was obvious from the noise from the surrounding trees that there were plenty of birds about. I'm not sure whether I am using the wrong deodorant but this is the second birding trip in a row where I have had exclusive use of  the hide.

The numbers of Siskins were much like a carpet on the ground in front of the hide, interspersed with Lesser Redpolls, truly astounding. Further back, settled on a carpet of seeds were Chaffinches with three Bramblings in attendance. The birds were quite skittish at times, not surprising as the local Sparrowhawk probably can't believe his luck, the best stocked raptor larder in the south of England. Although the rain eased off the light remained poor and capturing sharp images was difficult. Around midday I was joined by Bill Brooks who obviously had read the report on SOS too. On the way out I met Dorian - great minds thinking alike or fools not differing??






 




No "Brambling on a stick" shot, just on the ground amidst a pile of food.





 
 

The hardest working members of staff at Warnham




Finally thanks to Kevin for reminding me that it is three years to the day since I retired, talk about time flying by!!

No comments:

Post a Comment