Pages

Friday 7 May 2021

Out on the Downs

I was going to call this blog "A pair of Bottoms" but I have a feeling some visitors would have been disappointed in that I was referring to a geographical feature of the South Downs. Whilst I can find no accurate geographical definition of the word bottom, I assume that it literally means the bottom of a valley or the valley itself.

However, I digress. Another outing in the pilgrimage vein, keeping tabs on a couple of orchid populations that I have frequented over the years. I know I have done it all before but there is still excitement in finding little jewels that a vast majority of the public will never see and most of them wouldn't know an orchid if it fell on their heads. Both of the populations are tucked away - off the beaten track as it were. The first, Castle Hill reserve just behind Woodingdean is popular with dog walkers but even they decline to take the long walk on the far side of the reserve. I arrived at the car park about 07:20 well before everyone else and set off along the trail to Falmer Bottom. In the next three hours I met just one person - sheer bliss - a whole nature reserve to myself.  Having been before, the Early Spider Orchids were easy to find, even though this year, they are miniscule compared with other years. Lack of rain has left parts of the Downs parched, underfoot the grass is crunchy and dry. On the grassy slopes there are clear signs of what would be called overgrazing, I am sure winter grazing finished on time it is just the lack of rain that has failed to replenish the growth.

I reckon that I had seen a couple of hundred stems and there seemed to be plenty more to come. Though the numbers are down there are encouraging signs that outlier populations are being established away from the main site - time will tell.


Early Spider Orchid, Ophrys sphegodes



Early Spider Orchid, Ophrys sphegodes




Early Spider Orchid, Ophrys sphegodes




Early Spider Orchid, Ophrys sphegodes



Early Spider Orchid, Ophrys sphegodes


On the way back I recorded a couple of Small Coppers, one worn specimen was exhibiting blue spots on the hind wing - probably just sufficient to call it ab. caeruleopunctata 


Small Copper, Lycaena phlaeas ab. caeruleopunctata

Botany is not my strongest subject but I managed to record the well known Kidney Vetch, Anthyllis vulneraria.  Important as the sole larval host plant for the Small Blue Butterfly. However a small purple flower had me poring over the books when I arrived home.


Kidney Vetch, Anthyllis vulneraria




Common Milkwort, Polygala vulgaris


I returned to the car park and noted that I had been exactly three hours on the round trip.


Next venue was Anchor Bottom, access land between Shoreham and Upper Beeding. In a normal year there would be a thousand, probably more Green-winged Orchids on the southern side of this valley. Not this season, orchids few and far between and of diminutive stature. Still I managed to find both purple and pink forms. 


Green-winged Orchid, Anacamptis morio



Green-winged Orchid, Anacamptis morio


Green-winged Orchid, Anacamptis morio



Green-winged Orchid, Anacamptis morio



Green-winged Orchid, Anacamptis morio



Green-winged Orchid, Anacamptis morio



Green-winged Orchid, Anacamptis morio



Green-winged Orchid, Anacamptis morio



Green-winged Orchid, Anacamptis morio



Green-winged Orchid, Anacamptis morio


The rabbit population has increased fairly dramatically and grazing damage was evident, someone used to shoot here and this kept them in check.






On the way back to the car I noticed, on the grassy bank next to the road, a specimen of what I believe is False Oxlip, Primula veris x vulgaris, a hybrid between the Cowslip and the Primrose, large quantities of which were growing on the bank as well.









No comments:

Post a Comment