Pages

Thursday 19 March 2020

Self Isolation Part 1 - Birding in the garden.

I have managed only two birding trips this year and just I was getting round to going out again along came Covid-19. Unfortunately, for various reasons, Liz and I have had to self isolate. Not, I hasten to add that we have the damned bug but to protect ourselves. Day 1 of our prison sentence dawned and I have to admit that a wave of despair came over me, dark news from social media can get to you pretty quickly.

However, mid-morning and the dark clouds lifted, my faith restored in humanity, friends and neighbours calling asking if they could help, deliveries of essential supplies left in the air lock (the porch). Spirits lifted I ventured out into the garden and, as on most days, a camera went with me. I resolved to record what I could during our enforced incarceration. Damn the doom-mongers and the storm crows. My interest in all things natural has never been shaken - it soothes the mind.

Anyway first to be recorded was our local Sparrowhawk who has taken to bathing in the pond. I was in the greenhouse, potting up some seedlings, when I became aware of an almighty racket, Blackbirds, Great and Blue Tits all giving strident alarm calls. I looked out and as soon as I heard splashing noises I knew why. Oddly when the Sparrowhawk is bathing he almost ignores me, so I stood in the open, less than 15 feet away and snapped him until he had had enough.



























Second subject was a Chiffchaff, there had obviously been an overnight fall as there were three frequenting the garden. The pond is a great attraction as there are always insects of some description to be captured and I sat and waited for a photo opportunity. Sadly the light was poor but I cranked up the iso and fired away.












The third visitor was one of our long staying Jays, we have had three frequenting the garden since November and I have fed them everyday. God knows how many peanuts they have had - most of them cached, but in all this time they have not become less timid. Given how they are persecuted then I can't say that I blame them.















So Day 1 ended as it had started, dark leaden skies and dark foreboding news from the BBC. Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment