Pages

Thursday 4 July 2019

The Rock Nuthatches of Delphi

My latest tour, Butterflies of Greece, was a split venue holiday, three nights in Delphi and the remaining four in Kalavryta. Of course staying in Delphi meant a mandatory visit to the archaeological site of the omphalos and the Oracle. Now I am not all that keen on history and even less keen on old buildings, so the idea of a morning in Delphi didn't leave me in raptures. However, the possibility of photographing Rock Nuthatches and a possible Grass Jewel butterfly was enough to tempt me to cough up  6 Euro (Senior Citizen rates!!) to enter.

I have to say that after all my reservations it was well worth it, I was thoroughly entertained by two pairs of Rockies, Freyer's Grayling and a diminutive Praying Mantis. Of the buildings? Not a passing glance - call me a Phillistine if you wish!

I made a slight error, this was a butterfly trip and I had lightened my load, the prospect of long hot days in the field lugging a large lens about deterred me from taking a lot of kit. So I ended up taking bird shots with a full plate camera and only a 300mm lens. That said, with the quality of light and the birds getting ever closer, the cropped shots aren't too bad.




My first Rock Nuthatch - lifer.



















I would suggest that it isn't safe for arthropods to wander round in the open in Rocky territory.







The inevitable happened.









































Of the rest, the Praying Mantis proved to be the most photogenic.




A word in your ear sir.
















No comments:

Post a Comment