Pages

Wednesday 15 July 2015

White-letter Hairstreak

I guess I have been suffering post Scotland blues, not really feeling like doing much at all. However, when Martin e-mailed me just before lunch asking if I fancied a go at White-letter Hairstreaks, I jumped at the chance. So we made our way to Hollingbury Park in Brighton by a circuitous route.

We parked in the northern end car park and made our way to the tennis courts,  as we approached the favoured area, we spotted one almost immediately, Trevor was also there and he was on one too. Over the next couple of hours we must have had at least ten specimens coming down to nectar on the brambles and thistles. A big improvement on last year and when we left we found a single butterfly just south of the central path, so they appear to be more widespread.



 






Commas were about and I managed to record a couple of specimens.





Glad we went as we managed some reasonable photos in near perfect weather.

These Ladybird larvae were having a feast on the Blackfly that had infested a Burdock plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment