Pages

Tuesday 16 June 2015

Large Blue

Today was a return visit to Collard Hill in Somerset, another search for the Large Blue, a butterfly that has so far eluded me. Martin had dropped in the previous day and found a specimen so I was hopeful of at least a tick. I arrived a little earlier than planned and nothing was on the wing. However, a keen eyed enthusiast had found a roosting specimen and it wasn't going anywhere, at  least not before some sunshine came through. There are few poses that a roosting butterfly offers the photographer and as the specimen was a bit worn I decided to leave it for a while and go in search of a more pristine example. Now, I have done this before and come unstuck - a bird in the hand as it were.

Anyway,  I was given information on where to find both Bee Orchids and the odd variety of Bee Orchid that is called a Wasp Orchid - a pretty scarce find. Again there are only so many compositions that you can invent on a static plant so having captured some satisfactory shots I returned to the Large Blue which had done a bunk. However, it was soon re-found and became the focus of attention of a growing group of photographers, when it gets a bit crowded it is better to go in search of a subject that you can have to yourself, so I did and by mid-day my sightings tally had reached double figures and I had managed to photograph three, including one freshly emerged female(??)


A bit tired - but a life tick!

It moved!!

A fresher specimen.





Nearly an open wing shot.




Beware of impostors




And the orchids...

A normal Bee Orchid.

Wasp Orchid - Ophrys apifera var.trollii



All in all a great day out - my 51st species in the bag and some really useful information on locating some obliging High Brown Fritillaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment