Pages

Wednesday 30 July 2014

Brown Hairstreaks

Today was a mission into Dorset, to Alner's Gorse, probably the best butterfly reserve that I have yet visited. As I left, somewhat reluctantly, I had ticked fifteen species of butterfly, which included 3 species of Hairstreak and met some exceptionally nice people - what more could you want from a day's butterflying.

I left home at about 0500 and headed west, long before any commuters were on the road. Chichester, Portsmouth and Ringwood flashed by and before I knew it, I was passing Wimborne. Unfortunately the road between Wimborne and Blandford is a little slow, and the closure of a road delayed me slightly, but before 0730 I was seated on a log under Oak, Ash and Wych Elm trees . It was immediately obvious that three species of hairstreak were in the canopy, unfortunately not a single specimen wanted to come down to my level.

To keep myself occupied I took a tour of the reserve - very  impressed - extremely well managed. I returned to my wooden seat and finally a White-letter Hairstreak came down, albeit not close, but good enough for a record shot. Then, the most gorgeous female Brown Hairstreak, which obligingly posed for the camera. Not only that, she managed to deposit one egg for all the onlookers to see.








Then later another Brown Hairstreak, this time a male, descended and proceeded to nectar on the profusion of bramble flowers, posing for us for at least 30 minutes.








Finally a Purple Hairstreak paid the same bramble bush a visit, albeit fleetingly, just as I was about to press the shutter release it vanished into the canopy. I shall just have to go back, it is well worth a visit even though it is a fair distance away.

White-letter Hairstreak

Purple Hairstreak





No comments:

Post a Comment