Pages

Thursday 18 July 2013

Emperor!

I decided to revisit the local patch, Houghton Forest,  where I had been yesterday morning, first impressions of the place were very favourable and today I expected to improve on the results. When I arrived I located the previous day's Turtle Doves plus one more, I need to find out where they are feeding - more study required.


I made my way down to the ride where the Silver Washed Fritillaries were showing, by now the sun was fairly strong and butterflies were everywhere. It was nice to meet Rob the Ranger and exchange information, Rob explained that he had seen a Purple Emperor on the ride and it would be worth a look. We parted company I went down the ride but saw nothing. Then by chance as we met up again we had a flyby of a PE, quickly identified by Rob and we set off in hot pursuit, all the while this butterfly was ahead of us, every time, just as we caught up - off it went again. Finally I got close enough for what I will call a record shot - definite proof that PEs are in this wood. Here is the best I could do Rob - a real pleasure to meet you and many thanks for all the local information - hope to see you again.




The list for the morning totalled 13 species: White Admiral (numerous), Purple Emperor, Large White, Small White, Red Admiral, Comma, Silver Washed Fritillary (numerous), , Meadow Brown, Marbled White, Speckled Wood, Large and Small Skipper and a Ringlet.


Just as one lands - another disturbs it.













Drop dead gorgeous!





 


Threw me at first - much larger than expected.

 








Well - at least I got to grips with the Skippers




Ringlet - thanks for the ID Mike





 

 

 

 

 
 

2 comments:

  1. Glad you got he Purp Dave. Also good to see you have so many SWF, I have still to find one this year. And yes that is a ringlet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike chasing PEs is very invigorating - do they ever sit still?? The Ringlet makes it 13 species in a couple of hours - getting the hang of it now

      Dave

      Delete