Pages

Wednesday 15 May 2013

Lancing Ring

On my way home from Anchor Bottom I called in at Lancing Ring to record the Early Purple Orchid, Orchis mascula. I suspect that I should have been here at least a week earlier as pristine specimens were few and far between. Also, light was not that good and I had to resort to ring flash which makes some of the shots harsh. Given the amount of attention this site gets from dog walkers it is surprising how well the orchids thrive.













I also noted the "invasion" of Bluebells; all, I suspect, having Spanish genes from Hyacinthoides hispanica . Ah well, short of digging them all up we will have to put up with them - much the same as Canada Geese, Grey Squirrels and that damned New Zealand Pigmyweed, Crassula helmsii!! Truly global flora and fauna.






1 comment: