Pages

Wednesday 14 March 2012

Spadgers

We have lived in our present house for some 24 years and during most of that time House Sparrows have been absent, we used to have a flock up to 1992 but since then just the occasional visitor. Yesterday, when I was in the garden, I could hear them calling from the next door neighbour's garden but was unable to sight them. Today- great news - a mini flock of just six birds - but sat close to the window and calling like mad. I really hope they become regulars.


House Sparrow

House Sparrow
  
House Sparrow
  
The Dunnocks are hyper active too, not sure where they build their nest but it must be close by. I suspect the Robins are now a pair as they tolerate really close company, having dug some of the flower border late yesterday afternoon, they were both feeding within 3 feet of each other. The same can't be said of the Blackcaps, the male constantly drives away the female, mind you he drives away everything at the moment.


Dunnock
 
Blackcap


When I top up the feeders I have been scattering peanuts on the lawn, we have 2 Jays and I wanted to get some photos but they are very nervous. Anyway they have now dipped out as the local Carrion Crows have twigged and as soon as I approach the feeders they settle on the roof anticipating the free feed, when I come indoors they descend, polishing off the peanuts in a few minutes.


Carrion Crow


No comments:

Post a Comment