Pages

Tuesday 21 July 2015

Purple Hairstreaks and a Valesina at last.

An early morning dash to Alners Gorse in Dorset, one of my favourite butterflying venues. I arrived far too early, about 07:30, but even at this early hour Ringlets, Gatekeepers and Meadow Browns were on the wing. Unfortunately the weather wasn't quite as forecast and it remained overcast for at least another hour. As soon as the sun peeked through, the place started to buzz. Plenty of Purple Hairstreaks coming down to nectar on the brambles kept me busy, shame they only have one pose. No real open wing shots though, but you can't moan when they are at eye level. Nice to meet Lee from Bristol, he was after White-letter Hairstreaks but sadly there was only one present but it provided some good shots.





 


I wandered off to see what else I could find but returned post haste after Lee had found a stonking Silver-washed Fritillary of the valesina form. Thankfully I managed to capture a few shots. So, by mid morning I had both my planned targets in the bag.







A Brown Hairstreak had been found on the path down to the reserve, perfect photographic evidence was provided so we went off in search of the specimen, alas we never found it.

Plenty of SWFs about and a full supporting cast of the usual suspects - a place that is well worth a visit.



No comments:

Post a Comment