Pages

Monday 21 July 2014

Silver-spotted Skipper

Having failed miserably in an attempt to record the Silver-spotted Skipper, I just had to have another go. My forty-seventh butterfly species of the year has proved to be something of a learning curve. They are not the easiest of butterflies to find, being fairly localised on the South Downs. So when I found one I was determined to stay with it and get at least a record shot, Fat chance! These critters are extremely slippery, tracking them is very difficult but, as I learned today, getting close enough for a decent shot is nigh impossible. God knows what the dog walkers who passed by me thought as I rolled, slid and stumbled around on a west facing slope, camera in hand. There was a bonus, this time I managed to avoid the cow pats, something I have failed to do in the previous two outings.

Below are my efforts to record a hyperactive subject, they seemed to improve as the day went on, probably because by the time I left I had noted at least 50 specimens. Ah well, back to Newtimber Hill again tomorrow, if the weather holds, and another go at getting the perfect shot.














Another visit the next day gave even better shots, probably as there were more subjects available, we counted 200+ on the side of the hill. I even had five in the viewfinder at the same time.






 

The Meadow Browns here are also carrying the Trombidium breei mites, seems to be present at every location we have visited recently.

 
 
This female Chalkhill Blue has more than her fair share.



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment