Pages

Tuesday 10 June 2014

Wood White and Silver-studded Blue

My antipodean reader may be forgiven for believing that I have been sent to a penal colony when I say that I spent the morning in Botany Bay. This one is a Forestry Commission wood in leafy Surrey, not a place of correction for those transported overseas. Due to holidays and other commitments I had missed the optimum time for catching up with the Wood Whites that reside there and, as Martin and I have a target of 40 butterfly species this year, I couldn't pass up any chance of a tick.

So we arrived about mid morning in glorious sunshine but not much was airborne, in fact we had strolled up the main ride to the triangle and seen just the occasional Speckled Wood. Finally, when I was beginning to doubt that I would see one, up popped a nice clean male specimen. This is a butterfly that will happily pose for the camera, that said, as Martin wryly observed, it only has one pose and it never opens its wings when stationary. So here is the pick of my shots, sorry they are so similar but I was happy to have it in the bag.





Next venue was Iping Common where the Silver-studded Blues have started to emerge. Out on the wide expanse of heath we found one tatty specimen and it was a little time before we found a dozen or more flitting about in the midday sun. Yet again not the best of quality and that means a revisit, obviously when more are on the wing.










On the way back to the car park a fairly large moth flew across our path and crashed into the heather - a Clouded Buff - not a species with which I am familiar but happy to capture it all the same.




Two venues and two species and still a good portion of the day left, this meant we could call into Lord's Piece on the way home to see what dragonflies were about. Straight away we had good views of both Four Spot Chaser and Broad-bodied Chaser plus a host of damselflies. Finally a single specimen of Golden-ringed Dragonfly alighted on the fence and posed, this time Martin was on it and it remained in our vicinity for some time. Final species for the day was a nice looking Downy Emerald, unfortunately this chap didn't hang around for long, just long enough for a reasonable shot.




 





On the way home we both agreed that it was yet again a cracking day out - that's two on the trot - whatever next?

1 comment:

  1. A great day out Dave, never seen Wood white or Silver studded. Also your GRD is a female and I have only ever seen males !! As for the Downy Emerald I have never seen these land so well done you !

    ReplyDelete